Join thousands of fellow campervan travellers
Sign up for our Britz newsletter to receive inspirational travel content and awesome deals, and we'll send you a copy of our Ultimate RV guide!
Please confirm subscription in your email.
Whether you’re planning a long weekend somewhere special or a weeks-long road trip, having the right gear will make your campervan holiday more comfortable and enjoyable. Your list of must-haves will vary depending on where and when you plan to travel. But there are some essentials that every campervan traveller should include in their packing list.
To help answer the question of ‘what should I bring on a camper trip?’, we’ve put together this helpful blog with everything you need to know about what to pack for a New Zealand campervan road trip, including:
- Packing tips for your road trip
- Appropriate clothing and footwear
- Food and cooking equipment
- Sleeping gear & linen
- First aid supplies
- Additional items to pack
- What to pack for a road trip with kids
- What to do if you forget something for your road trip
- Ready to start packing for your road trip?
Ready to start packing? Let’s dive in!
Packing tips for your road trip
One of the big benefits of travelling by campervan is that it offers a lot more space than a car. But that can also make it tempting to pack a lot of unnecessary extras that can quickly use up all that space. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your campervan space:
- Maximise the space in your luggage by rolling your clothing rather than folding it. You’ll be surprised at how much more space you have – and how much easier it is to see what you have – by using this technique.
- Keep your items organised by using packing cubes. These handy packing accessories help keep smaller items together and make them much easier to find.
- Compression cubes/bags are great at helping maximise space, especially if you have a lot to pack or need to reduce the space taken up by bulky items like winter jackets.
- Pack your gear in soft luggage bags as they are a lot easier to store in your campervan than a hard suitcase.
- Write a packing list in advance and pack at least a day ahead so you have time to review your list and ensure you haven’t forgotten anything essential.
- Make the most of space in your campervan by utilising every nook and cranny such as the glovebox, under the seat, cabinets and storage compartments, and external lockers.
Appropriate clothing and footwear
New Zealand’s weather can be unpredictable – even during summer. This is especially so in mountainous regions. So, if you’re planning on hiking a trail or heading into a national park, it’s vital to check the weather forecast and be prepared.
You should also consider the length of your trip and whether you’ll have access to a laundromat to wash and dry gear if needed.
Here is a checklist to help you consider what clothing items to bring on your New Zealand road trip:
- Water/windproof raincoat
- Warm jacket
- Thermal underwear
- Jeans or track pants
- Light jersey/sweatshirt
- A sarong or summer dress
- Swimming gear
- Smart casual items if needed (dress pants, shirts, shoes)
- Durable footwear
- Good/comfortable walking shoes/hiking boots
Food and cooking equipment
Your Britz campervan will come with some cooking equipment including:
- Plates, bowls, cups, and cutlery
- Wine glasses and drinking glasses
- Coffee plunger
- Bottle/can opener
- Mixing bowls
- Frying pan
- Chopping board
- Electric jug
- Gas kettle
To ensure you have everything you need, it’s a good idea to think about what kind of food you’ll want to be cooking and eating as you travel.
You’ll also need to think about cleaning up. Fortunately, your Britz campervan will be stocked with the must-haves including:
- Dishwashing liquid
- Dish cloths
- Tea towels
- Dustpan and brush
Other essentials you might consider adding to your kitchen packing list include:
- Rubbish bags
- Paper towels
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- Containers for leftovers
Sleeping gear & linen
Road trips are always better when you have a comfortable night's sleep under your belt! Your Britz campervan hire will already include some of the necessities such as pillows and pillowcases, duvets and blankets, sheets, and towels.
You may like to bring the following items:
- Extra towels and face cloths
- A night robe
- Hot water bottle if you like extra warmth!
- Favourite blankets, teddies, and a night light for children
Having the right toiletries makes a big difference to your comfort and well-being on your road trip.
Aside from basic hygiene products such as shampoo and toothpaste, you may also want to pack a few personal care products specific to you such as:
- Hair styling products
- Razor/shaving cream
- Mosquito repellent
Travelling by campervan usually means there’s plenty to do at every stop. However, it can be good to have some on-hand entertainment for those times when the weather isn’t ideal or if you have downtime.
If you’re travelling with children, it’s a great idea to pack some favourite toys, books, or games to keep them occupied. This can be helpful during the driving portion of the trip too. You might enjoy relaxing in nature with the company of a good book or board game yourself!
Here are a few entertainment items you may like to add to your packing list:
- Knitting or craft projects
- Podcasts (download ahead of time)
- Pads and pencils for drawing
- Ingredients for cooking something special
- A yoga mat for some relaxation
First aid supplies
No one likes to think about having an accident on holiday, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Thankfully, all Britz campervans come with a first aid kit. This will cost $35 if opened, but it means you’ll be prepared for any accidents along the way.
You may prefer to bring along your own first aid kit or put one together for the trip. Here are a few essentials to consider adding:
- Regular medications
- Bandages and dressings
- Burn gel
- Triangular bandage
- Safety pins
Every Britz campervan is fitted with an in-vehicle GPS tablet to help make your road trip smoother. Apart from helping you navigate your journey, the tablet can also suggest activities and experiences near you. It also has a selection of ‘how to’ videos and can locate essentials such as campgrounds, supermarkets, petrol stations and more.
While the Britz in-vehicle tablet means you’ll always be able to find your way around, you may like to add a few other electronic essentials to your packing list:
- Phone or tablet
- Plug adaptors if travelling from overseas
- Phone mount
- Portable speaker
Additional items to pack
We’ve covered most of the essentials, but here are a few additional items you may want to consider bringing to ensure you have the best possible trip.
- Water bottles
- Day pack
- A great playlist
- A journal and pen
- Your dog (Britz campers are pet friendly!)
What to pack for a road trip with kids
Travelling with little people? Don’t forget to pack a few creature comforts to make them feel at home on the road. Your list of must-haves will depend on your kids and their ages and needs, but some useful items to consider include:
- Travel stroller, front back or backpack
- A sleep-sack or sleeping bag - we provide bedding, but kiddos might enjoy something more familiar
- Any special kids’ cutlery
- Beach gear like a bucket, spade, and inflatables
- Kids’ camping chairs
- Entertainment for lazy days such as puzzles or games
- For babies, bottle sanitisers and feeding equipment, a travel highchair, or any equipment to make feeding time a little easier!
- All the snacks! Enjoy the benefits of having an on-board kitchen and pack it full of healthy snacks for the kids
To help make the most of your family campervan holiday, check out our helpful blog on travelling in a campervan with kids.
What to do if you forget something for your road trip
If you manage to complete your New Zealand campervan holiday without forgetting a single thing, you’re doing well! But if you do forget something, don’t panic! Put it into perspective and don’t let it ruin your road trip.
Each Britz branch has supermarkets located nearby, making it easy to run in and grab whatever you’ve forgotten on the day of your trip if need be. You can also check out what other travellers may have shared at their drop-off.
Ready to start packing for your road trip?
We hope this blog has given you some helpful tips on what to pack for your campervan road trip. There is a lot to consider – but that’s also part of the fun!
With an organised packing list, you can enjoy your holiday without any hiccups along the way. Remember to make a list ahead of time – you’re sure to think of things to add to the list as you go about your day.
If you can’t wait to head out on your next road trip, take the first step and book your campervan with Britz today.
With a range of different campervan options, you can easily find your perfect travel option. You might even find a great bargain on a campervan hire so don’t forget to check out the deals we have running.
Need a little inspiration to help plan your New Zealand campervan holiday? We can help with that too!