Join thousands of fellow campervan travellers
Sign up for our Britz newsletter to receive inspirational travel content and awesome deals, and we'll send you a copy of our Ultimate RV guide!
Please confirm subscription in your email.
Travel restrictions in place
Entry into New Zealand
Effective from 23:59pm NZST on Thursday 19 March 2020 most foreign travelers can no longer enter New Zealand. Returning residents and citizens must isolate themselves for 14 days upon arrival. These restrictions will be reviewed in 14 days, by 23:59pm NZST on Thursday 2nd April 2020.
Further information can be found here.
Travel within New Zealand
The New Zealand government has issued advice on an Alert Level System showing what restrictions will be put in place as the whole country or different regions move between these levels.
Alert Level 3
- Level 3 is in effect from March 23rd 2020
- For domestic travellers the NZ Government has advised that people will need to get home immediately, be it locally or throughout the country. Visitors and tourists can use domestic air travel to proceed to an international airport.
We recommend that if you are travelling for non-essential purposes in a motorhome that you take one of the following options:
- Proceed to return your vehicle to the nearest branch in Auckland, Christchurch or Queenstown before the Level 4 deadline and then return to your home.
- If you are in a self-contained motorhome, check into a campground or holiday park and remain there for the duration of the level 4 crisis or until you can take a flight home.
If you are feeling unwell, particularly with a cough, shortness of breath or fever, or if you’re sneezing or have a runny nose, don’t travel.
Alert Level 4
- Level 4 will come into effect 23:59 Wednesday 25 March, 2020
- Everyone must self-isolate and only people who undertaking essential services and the transport of freight will be permitted to travel.
thl Travel Policy
thl branches are still open for people who are returning their vehicles, for some cases of self-isolation, and for the supply of self-contained motorhomes for people undertaking essential services.
Returning your motorhome
Please proceed immediately to the closest branch to return your motorhome before proceeding home in New Zealand or to the airport to get an international flight.
We encourage all travelers to practice social distancing and good hygiene. Official government guidelines can be found here.
Emergency Housing for Self Isolation or Essential Services
Self-Isolation or Displaced Visitors
Self-contained motorhomes are a good option for people who need to self-isolate but are unable to do so safely in their current home or living situation.
Motorhomes will need to be parked up at a stationary location and are not permitted to travel around the country. If you are planning to self-isolate at a campground or holiday park you will need to remain there for the duration of the level 4 crisis or until you can take a flight home.
- If you would like to speak to us about this option, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call our reservations team.
We can support essential businesses with self-contained motorhomes for the purposes of essential worker services, isolation / quarantine, or emergency housing
Please see the NZ Government definition of what are considered essential services businesses.
If you would like to speak to us about this option, please email us on email@example.com or call 0800222192.
Cancellations and booking changes
For those who have booked with thl (websites, contact centre or branch)
Please contact our reservations team to discuss cancellation options.
We understand the disruption this is causing to your travels, so we’re currently offering a great flexible travel option for anyone picking up before 23:59pm NZST on Thursday 30th April 2020:
- Any cancellation fees will be applied as a credit towards a future booking
- The credit will also entitle you to 20% off the daily rental rate of this future booking
- The future booking can be made with any thl brand in New Zealand, Australia, or the United States
- There will be no amendment fees if the location, brand or vehicle differs from the current booking
- The credit will be valid for 24 months
For those who have booked via a travel agent or third party
If you booked with a travel agency or another third party website, please contact them directly.
Safety and wellness
We deeply care about the health of our customers and crew. This is our commitment to you: you will receive a clean vehicle that meets the highest safety standards (including those needed at this time).
Our cleaning and hygiene practices are already robust. We are supplementing them with extra measures based on advice from the World Health Organisation and national health authorities. These extra measures include:
- Vehicle cleaning – all our motorhomes receive a thorough deep clean using appropriate disinfectants.
- Contactless pick-up – we are asking all our customers and branch crew to practice social distancing. We have changed our processes so that you can do the introductory ‘walk through’ of your vehicle without close contact with our crew. And we have a 24/7 on-road care team to answer any questions our customers have with motorhome functionality.
- Crew safety standards – any crew you meet will have appropriate equipment and training to keep people safe and the thl environment hygienic
FAQs - guidelines using a motorhome for self-isolating or emergency housing
thl encourages everyone to be familiar with official New Zealand government guidelines.
We have put together some advice on self-isolation in a motorhome based on our current understanding.
As of the 23rd March New Zealand goes into Level 3 and Level 4 stages of lock-down, therefore motorhomes must be collected and parked in a stationary location for the duration of the self-isolation period. A stationary location could be on a private property or at a campsite or holiday park.
If you are on the road and are looking to extend your trip for self-isolation please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use public transport facilities, and internal flights to get to your point of self-isolation if you are asymptomatic. After the period of self-isolation begins however, you cannot use these again
- If you are planning on staying at a campsite or holiday park, please call ahead to let holiday parks know that you are self-isolating and to understand the policy on how long you must stay for. Some campsites or holiday parks are not allowing self-isolation
- Practice social distancing. This includes avoiding close face-to-face contact, standing two metres away from someone, not being in front of them for more than 15 minutes, and avoiding handshakes, hugging or kissing
- Use supermarket online delivery or “click and collect” services
- Use petrol station “pay at the pump” services
- Self-isolate in a non-self-contained motorhome
- Enter into or exit out of any areas that the government may have put into a lockdown
- Invite visitors into your motorhome
- Use shared facilities at a campground such as campsite showers, toilets and kitchens. Your motorhome is self-contained and has toilet, shower and cooking facilities
- Use public bathrooms
- Use public transport facilities
How does the pick-up/drop off process work?
- You can catch the airport shuttle to the branch. Please practise social distancing when you do this.
- We have put measures in place to ensure that social distancing guidelines are observed between our customers and crew to keep everyone healthy. Please do not be offended if our crew stand two metres apart from you and keep interactions short. We are also cleaning surfaces and items that you will use more often and encourage you to follow hygiene guidelines, including frequent handwashing and avoiding contact with other people.
- Where possible, please complete our online self-check-in process before you arrive at our branch.
- When you arrive at our branch, signage will help guide you through the pick-up process. Our crew are also available to answer any questions you may have (from a distance).
- We will need phone and email contact details from you so that we can stay in touch.
- We are regrettably unable to provide a comprehensive show-through of your vehicle, but we will provide you with information to support you during your trip:
- The Quick Vehicle Guide located in the passenger door provides functional information about your vehicle.
- Our thl Roadtrip App includes show-through videos of your motorhome. You can download it now or at our branch.
- If you have questions or need assistance on the road, you can call the On Road Care Team 24/7 on 0800 788 558.